Kevin Coupe recently had the opportunity to moderate a podcast on the subject of “Commerce in the Smart City,” as part of the GMDC Retail Tomorrow conference in Toronto … several days of terrific conversation, presentations, store visits, and a focus on where the world of retail is going and how it is going to get there.
A retail executive told me not that long ago that “too many companies are not innovating for tomorrow. Instead, they are defending yesterday.” The goal of the Toronto Retail Tomorrow conference, as well as the past ones (in Silicon Valley, New York and Seattle) and the next one (scheduled for Los Angeles), is to have our eyes trained firmly on the future … with all its promises, implications and challenges.
Our guests for the podcast were Chris Lydle, Retail Innovation, Google; Darryl Jullott, Senior Manager, Digital Main Street in Toronto; and Pano Anthos, Managing Director of XRC Labs.
Learn about Amazon's different fulfillment models, how incremental growth can be gained from a hybrid model, and the potential complications. Learn about Amazon’s position on hybrid selling and how to set up for success. Find out if hybrid selling on Amazon is right for you.
A live presentation on the Future of Retail with up-and-coming companies, Sampler and Caper Labs, who are changing the retail landscape one innovation at a time. Retail Tomorrow is a GMDC industry initiative that organizes a community of innovators to promote uncommon collaboration between retailers, brands, technology leaders, and universities.
Caper Presentation | View Here
Sampler Presentation | View Here
GMDC presented its annual Lifetime Achievement Award to Bob Richardson, director of sales and customer and industry development at The Clorox Company, at the association’s annual Health Beauty Wellness Conference (HBW18) which took place September 13-17, 2018 in Orlando, Fla. The GMDC Lifetime Achievement Award honors visionary leaders who have made significant contributions to the industry’s general merchandise or health beauty wellness categories, to his or her company, and to GMDC. Richardson is a long-standing member of GMDC and has served in an advisory and leadership role since 2012. He has served as co-char of the Education Leadership Council since 2012, as a board member since 2013, and also previously sat on the HBW Advisory Council.
Read the full press release here.
GMDC in partnership with global strategy and management consulting firm A.T. Kearney released the results of its Health, Beauty and Wellness Benchmarking Report to give retailers insight into how they can leverage the latest marketplace trends to improve their performance in these key categories that have significant growth potential for brick-and-mortar retailers.
Recently released at GMDC’s 2018 Health Beauty Wellness Conference, the report describes five ways retailers can rethink their approach in the health non-Rx and beauty sectors to take advantage of their high-profit potential:
- Be on trend: Successful health, beauty and wellness (HBW) retailers must understand consumer behavior and tastes.
- Create narratives and tell stories: Retailers who create a broader story around category offerings, not just merchandise products, are seeing greater success in HBW.
- Educate consumers: HBW narratives should be reinforced through in-store and online consumer education. Retailers should be providing shoppers with information such as ingredients, sourcing, benefits, etc.
- Provide services: The shopping experience should be connected to services aligned with consumer need including dieticians, nutritionists, beauty consultants, etc.
- Be online: Retailers driving growth in HBW have a relevant online presence that supports the in-store category strategies.